About Me

Monday, July 19, 2010

I'm baaaack!

Geeze it feels like I've been gone forever (yes I did just say geeze for the first time since the 3rd grade, don't run away though! Much crazier things come out of this mouth!) I've been out doin my thang, livin' life and having fun but I've missed the bloggy. Nevermind  the fact that I keep finding awesome blogs to subscribe to and the Google Reader has reached over 300 unread posts, yikes! I'm thinking I need to trim it down a lot little.

I have copious amounts of pictures to share but as I get back into the swing of things (i.e. not being an internet hermit) I'm going to try to get on a posting schedule where every day of the week will be something different. It doesn't necessarily mean that I'll post everyday but when I do it will be on a specific thing. That way I can't use my guilt of not posting or a lack of immediate ideas as a reason not to post :O)

Today's post will be a workout tip. As I've become a gym addict rat, I catch myself watching other people as they workout and other trainers as they work with clients just to see how other people do things. Its become a great way to find new and innovative ways to work my muscles. I hate workout boredom and for me that means switching it up a lot. This move I saw my trainer do with another client and then we tried it together with hilariously painful results :O)

 I bring you Windshield Wiper Abs!

Awhile ago in Women's Health I saw this picture talking about the "toughest ab move ever"
A move so tough, that they had have a person hold her up and then photoshop him out of the picture (kudos to WH for admitting it!)

It was a move that I never thought I could do. Ever. And I love me some tough ab moves. However, after I saw a modified version, I thought I should give it a try.

To start: This is done on a Smith Machine 
 You'll adjust the bar so that it's at about waist height. Put some weight (I use 25 pound plates) on each end so that it won't move. You wont be lifting the bar at all, it's just there to hang on to (and believe me, you'll need it!)

Procedure:
 1. Position an exercise ball underneath the bar and lay down on it. Your butt should be off or almost off the ball.
2. Now kick your legs up vertical.
3. While hanging onto the bar, tilt your legs as far as you can go to one side, without sliding off the ball, then bring them back to center.
4. Tilt your legs to the opposite side as far as you can go and bring them back to center.
5. Tip your legs straight out (Ideally your body would make a straight plank resting on the exercise ball) and bring them back up to vertical.

That's one rep. Killer I know! Start with as many as you can (I do about 10) and work up to multiple sets of 10-12 with plenty of rest in between (at least 1 minute)

Variations: Not quite up to it yet? here's some "easier" versions... I use quotes because, well, they're all hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6TM2vL1w04- Flat on the floor, legs straight up.
    -Easier: Knees bent
    -Harder Put exercise ball between your feet (hands straight out to make a T for stability)

Working up to being able to do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pFY_TQ1400

Crazy I know! Ps. Sorry for the YouTube links... I  don't quite know how to embed a video from YT onto here. Let me know if you try it! I've personally done the exercise ball method and my abs were so sore the next day. It was awesome!

Something to think about:
*What's your favorite ab move?
*Ever get tips from watching other people (exercise or non-exercise related) that you just loved?

0 comments:

Post a Comment