About Me

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Total Body Workout #1

So here's the killer workout that I did this morning. I love it because it is tough, but completely different than standard lifting weights, even in the ways that the trainer had me do it.

Disclaimer: This workout was made for me by my trainer. He is an expert on exercise, I am not. You should always consult your doctor before starting an exercise regimen. Be safe, don't be stupid.

Note: All exercises are performed on a pulley machine. Weight amount really depends on the pulley machine itself, there are 2 different pulley contraptions in my gym and my weight varies on them by about 20 pounds (weird I know). It should be hard to complete 10- 12 reps and your muscles should be screaming by round 2.

Note 2: All exercises are performed using a "tricep rope"
Except for #5 which is done using a metal bar of some sort. I usually use one that looks like this:
Image source

#1. Woodchop to knee- 10 reps each side
*I do it this way, but I also start in a lunge position and bring it down to my knee, that way it works a wider range of ab muscles as well as my arms (especially the triceps). Plus by the end my legs are slightly fatigued. Do 10 reps each side here too.

#2. Reverse Nazi Walks- 10 reps
*Seriously horrible name I know, and don't even get me started on what I found when I tried to see if there was a description on Google.
*To do this exercise, lower the weight to a point where you can hold onto the rope handles with your arms straight above your head. Make sure you are standing in a straight line as this will help work the abs as well as the arms. Take 8-10 steps out, with high knees (like up to your belly button high) and then do the reverse without turning around. Then do it again, that's one set.

Repeat #'s 1-2 in a circuit for a total of 3 sets. Cable cord should be set up as high on the bar as it goes (close to or above your head).

#3. Squatted Row- 12-15 reps
*Same motion but use the rope instead and make sure you stay in a squat position for the entire 12 reps, your quads should be burning as much (if not more) than your back/arm muscles!

#4. Reverse Woodchop- 10-12 reps each side
*Make sure your grip on the rope is the reverse of the other exercises. The grips at the end of the rope should be pointing towards your nose (as opposed to pointing to your toes in #'s 1-2)
*Fling the rope over your shoulder, using your abs and legs for momentum.

Repeat #'s 3-4 in a circuit for a total of 3 sets. Cable cord should be set to low (near your feet).

#5. Front Squat- 20 reps
*Remember: use the metal bar for this one!
*Resistance should be tough enough that your legs and abs are hurting by rep 10
*Save your wrists! Roll bar up onto collarbone area and stick elbows out at a 90 degree angle (words of wisdom directly from the trainer)

#6. Cable Oblique Crunch- 12-15 reps each side
*Keep the motion but extend arms and crunch up to one side of the knee. Aiming for the hand to hit the outside of the opposite knee.
*You're back to the rope on this one, use the switching time to recover!
*Yup this one's a doozy, it will cause you severe pain but also leave you with some seriously smokin abs :O)

Repeat #'s 5-6 in a circuit for a total of 3 sets. Cable cord should be set to low (by your feet).

And if you've got anything left after that...
#7: Full Body Thrusts- 3 sets (set 1: 20 reps, set 2: 15 reps, Set 3: 12 reps)
*I couldn't find an accurate description of this one either, boo to that. Grab a moderate sized weight (I use 10 pounds) and stand shoulder width apart with one weight in each hand. Squat down until the weight almost touches the ground and then rapidly fire the legs to propel you up and thrust your arms over your head (into an overhead press) while simultaneously coming up onto your toes. Do each set as rapidly as possible (to get the heart rate up) and then alternate with your favorite ab exercise... I did:

*30 crunches- bringing knees and head together simultaneously
*Leg scissors (That's my term- I don't remember what the trainer called them... torture maybe?) NOTE: I do mine a little slower and do them as a 4 count per rep. So I count in my head (as my legs move...well hopefully!) 1, 2, 3, and then the rep #... 1. And then 1, 2, 3.... 2. And I went until 15, so you do the math there, I'm too tired :O)
*Reverse Crunch- 20 reps... I do it on the bench and keep my legs fully extended the entire time, no bent knees.



And there you have it. By the end you should be a huge sweaty mess. Once I've survived that, I go grab a super amazing foam roller:
Source

And once I'm done rolling and stretching my muscles, I collapse in a sweaty heap on the gym floor head for home for a shower and a recovery meal. Enjoy :O)

0 comments:

Post a Comment